In Our Own Words
So I am pretty sure the government is tapping my phone. The other day, I thought I saw a black suburban tailing me on my way home. Then today, a Wall Street Journal article confirmed my worst fears, super cookies are stealing my browsing history and tracking my every move online! Big Brother IS watching!
I’ve cleared my cache, deleted my cookies, and have re-routed my IP address to bounce across 4 different servers in 2 different countries. Now I can read Perez Hilton in peace without everyone and their mother KNOWING about it. Or can I? Apparently, these “super-cookies” aren’t your normal run of the mill tollhouse variety. These guys can’t be erased as easily as regular cookies…once they latch on, they hold on for dear life, like a rabid browser surfing pit-bull.
The worst part about it is media companies are using this data to serve me advertising that is relevant to my needs! Can you believe that?! If my surfing behavior demonstrates that I am looking to buy a new car, they will serve me ads with, guess what, great deals on new cars… isn’t that deplorable? I mean, when I watch TV or listen to the radio, or on occasion read a newspaper, I am bombarded with nothing but ads for things I don’t need, don’t want, and could care less about. But at least, I have my privacy! This is America afterall. What’s next? Devices that beam signals from outerspace to tell everyone exactly where I am? When will it end! I just want to be left alone. Companies should not be allowed to violate my personal space like that. It just makes me feel so, used. Well, I have to go, I need to post this to my Facebook page and head to lunch. One more check-in at Zea and I’ll be the mayor! #privacynow!
Friday, August 19, 2011
by Damien Lamanna
- Megan The Media Planner Wins!
- Media Buying Monopoly
- 15 Years
- Traditional Media - The People Paradox
- Magazines Still Have Value
- Why Launch A Magazine Now?
- A GRP is a GRP, right?
- A New Digital Dimension
- Don’t Touch The Jerseys
- Happy Six Month Anniversary to Me: Five lessons I’ve learned as an AMP/B at Morgan + Company
- Give Me Liberty or Give me A Do-Not-Track Button!
- I’m Just a Girl: Taking gender specific marketing to a whole new level
- Tweet Dat: How Social Media adds to the fan experience
- Social Media Hype Doesn’t Equal Viewership
- The NFL
- Why You Should Use Video In Digital Banner Ads
- Louisiana Gets Its Own Pandora.com Station
- Early Fall Viewership Numbers
- Let’s Be Totally Clear Scores a Major Victory in Alexandria
- Damien LaManna Speaks New Marketing Strategies
- Cookie Monster
- The Value of Experienced Media Planning & Buying
- Twitter’s New Ad Types
- Welcome Aboard Louisiana Office of Tourism
- New Tools, Same Approach
- Award Season Continues
- Awards Season
- Ad Spending on the Rise
- Time to move on?